Saturday, May 10, 2008

Vacated nest - deposit not returned!



Yesterday the dove chicks were exploring their leafy latticed home, under the close watch of Mama Dove. This morning they were still here, but by this afternoon they had flown. The nest is an empty pile of twigs. The kids have left the nest, off to explore new worlds. Mama and Papa have probably rented an RV or booked into a Vegas hotel suite, happy to be on their own again.

It's easy to get romantic about nature, but whenever I do that, I'm always brought up short by reality. Since the babes have hatched out, it's been three, sometimes four hungry birds living in a very small space on the latticework over our deck table and chairs. Well, it all may be fluffy feathers and cute little bright-eyed chicks up above. But here's what it looks like below:

Dove poop. Lots and lots of dove poop. They trashed the joint! Now I get what it's like to be a landlord!

5 comments:

M. Bouffant said...

Only a wk. or so to start flying? Wow.

Kathy Rogers said...

Well, at least they didn't throw the TV in the swimming pool.

Anonymous said...

I had a bird feeder next to my front porch, until I repainted the porch railing. At the first sign of bird poop on the railing, I moved the feeder.

JCK said...

You are HILARIOUS! And congratulations on helping see the baby doves on their journey!

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.