Monday, December 1, 2008

Kabocha soup

These are two Kabocha squash I'd bought at the Farmers' Market. I initially thought I might roast their shells as bowls for soup, but - as always, in my kitchen - I decided to simplify the Thanksgiving menu. So they remained in the kitchen, two pretty orange squash, for another, more casual meal.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Halve the squash. Scoop out the seeds and fiber. Lay them face-down on a baking pan sprayed with cooking oil, and roast them for an hour.

Or you can microwave them. I like the flavor roasting gives them, as long as I have the time.


Chop some onion, some garlic, and some herbs. I had sage, but you could use any savory herb like thyme, rosemary oregano.

Chop some pancetta finely. Or you could use bacon. Or ham.

Cook the chopped meat in the bottom of a hot saucepan until it's crispy - remove and drain on paper towels.

Cook the onion and herbs in the remaining hot fat - or add some olive oil if there's not enough fat.

Take out the squash and let them cool enough to handle. Scoop the meat from the skins and add to the saucepan along with some broth - about twice as much as you have squash, and simmer for twenty minutes.


Puree it in a blender. Add some water, milk, or broth if it's too thick, and keep warm.

Garnish with a tablespoon of creme fraiche, some chopped fresh herbs (chives are nice) and the crumbled, cooked bacon.

Serve with some bread. Yum.

4 comments:

San Diego Momma said...

I love the idea of pancetta! That puts a while new spin on squash soup for me.

JCK said...

Me, too. You are a great cook. I can tell by the casualness in which you fling ingredients around like familiar lingerie. ;)

CaShThoMa said...

Yum. Glorious on a chilly day...

Gabriela said...

Hello,

Never heard of these type of squash. I am definitely hungry now...it seems like a great recipe!

Thanks for sharing.

~ Gabriela ~