Monday, February 16, 2009

A fool's errand

Today is a holiday; it's also pouring down rain outside. Another one of L.A.'s hyped "storm of the year" - only this time, the predictions proved true. The rain started at 2 a.m. and has been pouring down hard since I woke at 6.

Six? Six Aye Em? Yes - I had a doctor's appointment this morning at 8:30. So even though it was a holiday, I got up, allowing myself time for weather-related traffic delays, and ventured out into the storm.

The ocean during a storm is always a dramatic sight. The waves were big and foaming, murky brown with stirred up sand from the beach.

I got to the medical center ten minutes before my appointment - and the office was closed. I called the number and got a voice mail message saying they were closed for the holiday. Well. Did I enter it wrong in my calendar? What a dummy I am.

Nothing to do but head home, back through the rain, back to a warm and cozy house. Put the coffee on and maybe bake some cookies.


I felt so sorry for this guy, walking on the shoulder in the rain. I hope he has a warm place to go to.

6 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

Oh we could use some of your rain! Please send some our way?

Woman in a Window said...

The cookies will be all the sweeter for your trouble.

But the rain...oh, that would be nice.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

you live in this pretty place? can we come over, rain or no rain?

Whiskeymarie said...

Oh, how I miss a good rainstorm. Snow and ice is getting very boring.

But I'll take a cookie, please.
;)

Just A Girl said...

Ha! I did this exact thing last Wednesday. My real appt. is tomorrow..."Oh Joy!" I hope you don't have anything major :).

xo Cori

Unknown said...

Oh my! I hope he had a nice place to go too. Even rainy and windy, it is so pretty. I am so happy you get to look at waters and beaches every day. That is lovely!