Saturday, February 21, 2009

Thematic Photographic - Busted

I'm late to the party, but I just discovered Carmi's Thematic Photographic, at his blog Written, Inc. Every Wednesday evening at 7 p.m., he posts the theme for the week, and for the next seven days, participants explore the theme in photography. Here are the basics:
  • Every Wednesday evening, at precisely 7 o'clock Eastern, I post a new Thematic Photographic entry.
  • Each entry has a unique theme. This week's is...busted.
  • You post a similarly themed image over on your blog.
  • You paste a link to your entry in a comment here.
  • If you've already posted something that fits (on a blog, Facebook, MySpace, wherever) simply post the link to the existing entry. Old or new, all photos are welcome.
  • You may post as many photos or links as you wish. For the next week, I'll be supporting this theme with a related picture/posting each day. I encourage you to do the same. This is all about sharing, so feel free to share to your heart's content!
  • Please share this link with friends, too, and encourage them to join in. The more, the merrier.
This week, the theme is: Busted. For the next seven days, we'll be looking at things that are broken, run down, worn out or in otherwise sad condition. Obsolescence has so many stories, and I look forward to seeing what stories your photos will be able to tell over the next week.

This is the remains of the Redland Drive-In Theatre, on Route 59 in East Texas. As you drive up Route 59 you see a lot of roadside stands that are closed, a lot of abandoned houses and stores; you see a lot of signs and billboards blown over by Hurricane Ike that haven't been fixed.

The Redland Drive-In is a little different. It's been closed since I started coming here, way back in the early 1990s. It's well and truly, completely BUSTED.

6 comments:

carmilevy said...

I love this shot. Drive-ins are truly a busted business model, and one that always evokes such nostalgia. This picture, faded logo and all, says so much.

My parents used to take me to a drive-in when I was a kid. Fast-forward 20 years and I got married and moved to the burbs. One day, I was noodling around the Internet, wondering what ever happened to the old drive-in that we used to go to. Turned out we were living in a subdivision that had been built on the old site.

My wife calls it fate. Our kids simply think their dad should spend less time doing research on the 'Net.

So glad you've found my site and are enjoying Thematic Photographic!

:)

Pamela said...

we have one in the area that is still active -- but it sure looks about as "busted" as that one.

(:

mo.stoneskin said...

We don't really get drive-in theatres over here, but that poor chap looks very sorry for itself, missing the glory days no doubt.

Poor thing.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I remember drive-ins and battling mosquitos--it wasn't too romantic!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's busted. But, what great memories you just awakened in me! I grew up in Winchester, Indiana. The local drive-in theater was the the only way my family was able to view movies. Great choice for your "busted" theme!

Woman in a Window said...

You're killing me with this busted stuff. I'd like to live in the land of Busted. There was so much value there, don't you think?