Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thematic Photographic - Kitchen

Every Wednesday, Carmi posts the week's theme for Thematic Photographic. For the next seven days, bloggers post photos that echo that theme. This week's theme is: Kitchen.

Mariscos. This school of fish swims on the side of the ultimate portable kitchen.

La Isla Bonita taco truck sets up shop in front of a U-Store-It facility on Rose Avenue at Fourth, in Venice, CA. You can get a taco de camarones for $2.50. Or a ceviche tostada for $1.50. At lunch, a Coctel de Camarones chica goes for only $5.00 - a big styrofoam cup full of plump pink shrimp and chunks of avocado, swimming in a sweet, cilantro-spiced tomato broth.

The neighborhood being what it is, while you wait for your order, you mingle with a dozen or so customers that range from Mexican landscapers and dry-wall contractors to blue-tooth-wearing talent agents to yoga instructors to pony-tailed tattooed hipsters. And middle-aged ladies like me.

Fun fact? If you go to Google Maps and select the intersection above, and zoom down as far as it goes, you will see this taco truck from above. It's on the south side of Rose, between Third and Fourth. I wish they had Street View here - you might just see me there, waiting for tres tacos carnitas!

7 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

Love it. I'd like to paint both my car and kitchen like that!

KBeau said...

Sounds like a very ecclectic area. Muchos fun. And that's the extent of my Spanish.

CaShThoMa said...

Love this post especially; something about that Taco Truck....

You've a wonderful way of bringing this most interesting, amazing neighborhood to life.

I get the sense that there is no end to the wonder. It's on every street corner, inside every tiny store, in all the people who work, run, play in the streets.

Thank you!

Mamie said...

G, I've heard about these portable taco stands, but have never seen one in my town. I read an article the other day about one of the ethnic stands that has hundreds of people standing in line every day at lunch! Whoa! And, I love fish, so the first photo is fabulous.

Mojo said...

Way cool! I have a similar shot in the "unused archives" that I considered for this theme... and may still use yet. The first shot had me wondering (and hoping) if you were gonna show us a wider one because I was far too curious about what that was!

I'm surprised that intersection doesn't have street view... somebody should get on that pronto!

Unknown said...

This is fascinating stuff! WOW! I want to read about ABW but I don't have enough time to really dig into it. I am bookmarking you so it can be the FIRST thing I read tonight when I get home! Happy Monday!

Queenly Things said...

That's what I love to get - coctel de camaron. COuld you ask them if they'd make a slight detour north and pop into the school here. My mouth is watering.