Monday, October 19, 2009

Thematic Photographic - Open

Each week Carmi at Written, Inc. has challenged readers with a theme for photographic inspiration. This week the photographic challenge continues with the theme OPEN.

I love oysters. I love raw oysters on the half-shell. But everytime I eat oysters, I go to a place where someone shucks them for me. I've never shucked an oyster myself.

Until today. A good friend went to a seafood market and bought several dozen Kumamoto oysters. She gave me a half dozen. I took them home and dug around in the kitchen drawer to find that oyster knife that I've never used.

I googled for instructions, and then gave it a try. Pry the point of the knife into the hinge, and then twist from the wrist. It was an odd sensation - almost like the loosening of suction when you finally open the lid of a jar. A resistance, and then like a release with a gentle "pop!" - Hey! It worked.

We ate them. They were delicious.

4 comments:

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

i've never eaten oysters!

thanks for popping by

mo.stoneskin said...

I developed a shellfish allergy out of the blue 5 years ago, it makes me very sad to think of it. :(

Beverly said...

I love oysters, too. But, for the life of me, I just can't open one. I guess I am a wimpy weakling. ;-)

Sue said...

I love seafood, and I even like oysters...just not the raw ones. There are very few things I won't try, but this is one of them. This was a great choice for the theme.

Sue