Saturday, January 23, 2010

What a score!

In an industrial area of North Hollywood, we drove past massive tiki-gods and tall glazed urns, and a big sign that said SALE.

Quick, go around the block, let's check it out!

Jackalope Pottery, on Burbank Boulevard in North Hollywood, sells imported pottery, furniture, and folk arts and crafts from Mexico. There were beautiful glazed jardinieres, some fashioned into fountains. There were arrangements of teak garden furniture, Buddha statues, and inside the tin-roofed shed there were fabrics, carved wooden figures, and tin-framed mirrors.

But then I saw a shelf piled high with crockery in wonderful colors - deep blue, golden yellow, and orange sherbet. And a big red sign that said "50% off."

The plates and bowls were large, substantial, and looked like they cost something. At 50% off, I figured, maybe I could afford a bowl - the colors were so pretty it would be worth a splurge.

I picked up one of the bowls and turned it upside down to see the price. $1.99.

I asked the woman at the counter, "Are these already marked down?"

"No," she said. "It's 50 percent off the marked price."

$3.50 a place setting. What do you think?

I bought eight place settings. If you live in the Los Angeles area, check this place out.

8 comments:

MAYBELLINE said...

Whoa...
Beware of the lead content.

Tristan Robin said...

yeah - what maybelline said ^

on the other hand, they look terrific - almost like old Fiesta Ware

good find

Blondie's Journal said...

Gorgeous and what a fantastic price!! Enjoy!

xoxo
Jane

Glennis said...

Good suggestion, Maybelline. I'll test 'em, but I think they're probably OK.

M. Bouffant said...

Oh no, now I have to keep this away from my girl-friend, or I'll be carrying pottery to the car for an hr.

Gilly said...

Gorgeous colours - I love them!

Lead content??

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

That's great! I love that style too. I'll have to head over there.

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

A Los Angeles ci sono molte cose belle...