Thursday, April 8, 2010

Roadside sight

There's something about Topanga - you see a lot of interesting things in our canyon that you might not see elsewhere. It could be because there's only one road in, and everything that comes here has to come the same way. Or it could be because it's always been a place that's attracted unusual people.

Last weekend while [The Man I Love] was driving I turned round in my seat to see an incredible sight - steel wings lifted to the sky, hands out-reaching, a glassy sphere -- What?

"Hey did you see that?"

"What?"

"Some kind of sculpture on a car, I think. We went by so fast."

The next day we saw it somewhere else, by the lumber yard. Yesterday going to work, I saw it down below the S-curves. On the way home, it was parked on the side of the road by the creek.

This morning on my way to work, I had to stop. It was parked, and empty. A skeletal figure, large as life, rusted steel, is fastened to the back of an SUV, poised as though leaping, one arm raised up holding a filigreed sphere, the other a golden chalice.

The driver's seat was empty. A curtain hid the cargo space - was the car abandoned or was someone sleeping? "Hello?" I said. No answer. I took a photo of the life-size eagle mounted on the roof of the car. I waited a little while. Then I got back in my car and went to work.

The next time I see his car, I'll try to stop again and see if I can learn more.

If you visit the website on the sign carried by the car, you will know everything I know about this so far.

6 comments:

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Wow! That's crazy! Interesting, but a little crazy.

mo.stoneskin said...

I just went to KermitFrazier.com. Crazy. I need to get myself a car like that.

Gilly said...

Wow! You do see some strange things in your part of the world!

Like the eagle, though!

Gilly said...

Now I've visited his site, I can see that it is a splendid way of advertising, and that he is a very talented blacksmith!

Do you think he'd do an eagle for my front wall?

No, perhaps not!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the sculpture, but I don't think I'd want to drive it around.

Nej said...

That's on a car...that's mobile? I wonder how many accidents is causes from people stopping to stare! It's amazing!