Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pink Saturday - blending colors

Pink Saturday - Beverly at the blog "How Sweet the Sound" hosts Pink Saturday. Let the color pink inspire you! Today's post is in honor of Pink Saturday's anniversary - which debuted in 2008.

Sometimes things just happen by luck, or coincidence. This year, in my garden, was a perfect example. A rose, an old China rose called 'Mutabilis' burst into the year's first bloom at the same time as a selection of Scotch broom (Cytisus x 'Lilac Time') and their branches mingled together.


The broom, pale pink and maroon and purple, yet tinged with amber and cream, mingled with the blooms of the rose.

'Mutabilis', as its name suggests, is a changeable rose - single blossoms open golden, then flush to peachy-orange, then age to copper and cerise and finally fade a rich magenta.


The brilliant changing colors of the rose are enhanced by the deep red of its stems and new growth. Even its thorns - translucent when backlit by the sun - are suffused in a deep rosy glow.

Quite a bright, rich pink for a Pink Saturday.

'Mutabilis' is an ever-blooming rose, like most Chinas. Its changing colors are beautifully suited to the shifting tones and moods of a multi-season garden.

As the spring turns to summer and the blossom of the broom fade, a deep mahogany bearded iris turns the palette that echos the darker side of the rose's stems and aging flowers.

Later, the bright stems of the kniphofia, or 'Red hot poker' rise up from narrow grassy foliage next to the rose. Their tubular flowers, coral and honey-colored, punch up the brightness of the new buds.

A summer-long companion, the perennial gaura "Siskyou Pink" - its stems, buds and new leaves suffused with rose - its airy, lacy stems float like butterflies amid the rose blossoms.

Color - in all its richness. There's so much more to it, when you combine them together. That's one of the garden pleasures I want to share on this special Pink Saturday.

19 comments:

Melly said...

So many beautiful blooms in your garden, it must be a joy to spend time in amongst so much beauty.
Happy Pink Saturday!
Melly:)

Tristan Robin said...

You found some terrific shot! Gorgeous images.

HaPpY PiNk SaTuRdAy!

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Glennis. We've been pinking together almost the entire two years. Thank you for everything you do to make Pink Saturday special.

I am enchanted by all of the gorgeous blooms in your garden. Each one is a masterpiece.

Claudia said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Your flowers are beautiful. I used to have Scotch Broom in my garden years ago - seeing it again reminded me that I should plant some.


Claudia

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I'm always blessed when I come here on Pink Saturday. The rose is beautiful in its ability to change.
I confess that when I think of Scotch Broom, I immediately see sunny yellow blossoms that cause epidemic sneezing and suffering. Is the pink version less likely to cause such a reaction?

Simply Debbie said...

HAPPY 2ND PINK SATURDAY BIRTHDAY GLENNIS,
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST. I WAS NOT FAMILIAR WITH SCOTCH BROOM OR THE BEAUTIFUL CHANGING ROSE. THE ROSE JUST STUNNED ME BY ITS' BEAUTY AND I SO APPRECIATE YOU DESCRIBING IT RIGHT DOWN TO ITS STEM AND THORNS. YOU TOOK BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHS.
HUGS AND BLESSINGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Bill said...

Your photos are gorgeous! There's nothing prettier than pink flowers. A perfect way to celebrate two years of Pink Saturday.

The Artful Diva said...

Your garden is gorgeous. I wish I had your green thumb - I am pink with envy!

D. Jean Quarles said...

Happy pink day.

Elisa said...

I'm envious of your garden (in a good way) One day not too far I hope to have beautiful flowers like yours.
Happy Saturday.
Thanks for stopping by Nando's web, I actually edited the link since the one I posted was only one of his contributions. this is his home page: http://nandoism.com

Anonymous said...

All your flowers are beautiful. I especially adore iris, bearded iris . HPS~

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Happy Saturday, Aunt Snow.

You inspired me to put up a few of the pictures I've been sitting on.
~

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Such beautiful blooms you have shared with us today!!

HPS!!

Debbie

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Happpy PS! what a lovely post! thanks for sharing. have a good weekend!
xo
fitty

Gilly said...

Wonderful colours - and so cleverly put together! I love that broom and especially against the roses. We have a beautiful very pale yellow one, but it is finished now!

I am intrigued by the changing rose - never met one that faded to magenta!

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Love your pics! Hope to see you at my blog sometime! XX

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely post. You are very talented with a camera and your choices of pictures were perfect for Pink Saturday. You asked about the cherries - they grow locally and I freeze them. You can also use individually frozen pie cherries (no syrup or sugar) to make the gelato. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What gorgeous flowers. Don't you just love when they bloom in harmony like that?

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Hello! I am late, but still wanted to wish you a happy Pink Saturday! It is so nice to meet you. Your flowers are so gorgeous. Iris is my favorite flower and I loved seeing yours. Have a wonderful week! Twyla