Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Keep climbing

I still feel tender at the site of my incision. My gut feels....fine...but I'm hyper-aware of every movement.  I'm tracking my diet, actively choosing vegetables, fruits, and high fiber choices.

I walk every day, at least one mile, usually in the morning with Jack. The walk loops around and down, among oak groves, past viewpoints, and past rustic cottages. There is perhaps a 100 foot grade change from the lowest point of my walk to the highest point. I get tired more easily than I used to, but each morning I go out.

UPDATE: To Linda in comments - yes, although the eucalyptus trees are now frowned upon as being fuel for fires, there are several magnificent specimens here that smell heavenly - along with the smell of pepper trees, blooming oleander, and the sharp resin and herbal scent of native chaparral and sage. 

Along our walk we meet friends - other dog-walkers. Some we know well enough to stop and chat. Some we only know their dogs' name - but the dogs stop and play together. Some we know only to greet and keep walking. We say hello to other neighbors taking out their trash, or driving past on their way to work.

Lately it's been cool, damp and foggy - typical for L.A. in June. But once in a while, the sun breaks out.

I know it seems like an uphill struggle. But keep climbing toward the sun.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Do you get to smell the Eucalyptus trees?
I miss that living up here in the PNW.
Have a perfect day. :)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

My exercise these days is mainly walking, too.

But you might consider two walks a day when you get better. I can say that for myself, once a day is not getting it done. Last summer/fall two-a-days almost got me back down to my NYC weight.
~

Glennis said...

It usually ends up 2 walks a day, cause Jack needs an evening outing. Only the second one is not as rigorous.

Janet said...

I don't remember if I've even smelled the scents of oleander, chaparral or sage, but I still remember the first time I smelled a pepper tree! It was in Albuquerque...amazing! I also remember the first time I smelled night blooming jasmine in CA...wow!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

The climb is a really good metaphor for your healing process.

Beautiful post, as always.

JCK said...

I've been thinking of you. I am glad to hear that you are out walking in the beautiful Topanga!