Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Brighton scenes

Brighton along the beach
We took a quick day-trip fifty miles south of London to the seaside resort of Brighton. It made me remember this song (excerpted) from Stephen Sondheim's musical, "Sweeney Todd."


Canvas beach chairs for hire at Brighton
MRS. LOVETT: (spoken) I've always had this dream... Ever since I was a skinny little slip of a thing and my rich Aunt Nettie used to take me down to the seaside August Bank Holiday... The pier... Makin' little castles in the sand... Ooh, I can still feel me toes wigglin' around in the briney!

Carousel on the beach at Brighton
By the sea, Mr. Todd, that's the life I covet,
By the sea, Mr. Todd, ooh, I know you'd love it!
You and me, Mr. T, we could be alone
In a house wot we'd almost own,
Down by the sea!
Wouldn't that be smashing?

I can hear us wakin,'
The breakers breakin,'
The seagulls squawkin,'
'Hoo, hoo!'


 
By the sea!
Don'tcha love the weather?
By the sea!
We'll grow old together!
By the seaside,
Hoo, hoo!
By the beautiful sea!


It'll be so quiet,
That who'll come by it,
Except a seagull
Hoo, hoo!
We shouldn't try it,
Though, 'til it's legal for two-hoo!|

Wedding ceremony in the town of Brighton, with a red Cadillac convertible
But a seaside wedding could be devised,
Me rumpled bedding legitimized!
Me eyelids'll flutter,
I'll turn into butter,
The moment I mutter I do-hoo!


By the sea,
Married nice and proper!
By the sea,



Hoo, hoo!
By the beautiful sea!

6 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I see you found someone(seagull) to pose for your post.

;)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

P.S. How was the water? Was it warm enough to swim in?
~

smalltownme said...

I love it. [thunderous applause!]

shrink on the couch said...

Brighton makes me think of naughty Lydia from Pride and Prejudice. It's odd, I happened to look up Brighton on a map a few nights ago. I'm reading Northanger Abbey so was trying to place their location - and decided to see where Brighton was. I'd love to see it for myself. Do you recommend it as a must-see?

Glennis said...

Yogurt, Brighton is a little tacky and very touristy, but I think it's still worth a visit. The Brighton Royal Pavilion itself is pretty amazing - I'll be posting about that later.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That was perfect!