Thursday, April 12, 2012

Collecting the lettuce


The lettuce, kale, cabbage, the green, cash.

I've been working with a delinquent client all week. I was chasing him for his second payment when the bank called that his deposit bounced.

The Seven Stages of the Cancellation Threat:

1) Evasion - don't answer the phone, don't respond to voice mails and emails.

2) Make something up - "my computer was down."

3) Counteraccusation - "you didn't send me the contract so I didn't know how much was due." (yes I did.)

4) Negotiation - "Can I bring you half of it today?"

5) Stall - "I have the money but I can't make it there by 5:00 - you have to give me more time."

6) Acquiescence - show up with the cashier's check

7) Put it all behind you - after receiving the receipt, sit and chat as if this were a casual visit and we are all the best of friends. Take an extra 15 or 20 minutes to make sure we have a nice conversation and then leave the office as if none of the earlier unpleasantness ever happened.

3 comments:

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I imagine I could do this part of the job, but I'd need to vent after-hours on a regular basis.
Love the picture you chose to go with the post! :)

Linda said...

This reminds me of a job I had once.
I had a dish sponge hidden,when the client left my office I would throw the sponge at the wall.
Made me feel so much better and nothing got broken. or cursed out.
You are a much better woman than I am.

Cassi said...

I wouldn't last long in that job --I'd be lecturing the client and fired quickly. No nice chit-chat from me! :-)