Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Signs of Spring



My morning walk is now brightened with bright yellow, as the acacia trees in my neighborhood come into bloom.

The genus Acacia has some 1300 species. Most of these are native to Australia, but there are acacias native to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas.


The trees in my neighborhood are Acacia baileyana and Acacia dealbata, both Australian species brought to Southern California as ornamental plants.

Click to "embiggen"

When I look across the canyon to the other side, I can see that there are trees in bloom there, as well.


Their blossoms are such a cheerful bright yellow, and look delightfully like little puffs of passementerie fringe, little pompons of bright fiber.


I've written about Acacias several times on this blog - but perhaps it's because the sight of them bursting into bright bloom each year in the cold months always reminds me that springtime is coming.

3 comments:

smalltownme said...

Acacias bring back memories for me. My mom loved her acacias. She had two or three in her backyard.

Cassi said...

It seems like just a week or so ago you were struggling to keep warm --oh yeah, it was, because you live in the land of summer. I'm envious --we have a very long time still before we get any signs of spring!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

We still have snow in our yard.

That yellow is an impressive sight!