Thursday, April 2, 2015

A lot to do


Over the last couple of weeks, the impact of my acceptance to graduate school has been slowly sinking in. There's an awful lot to do between now and the start of classes in August.

Some of it is super-important and life-changing - I will be retiring from my job, and getting my pension from the State of California. I need to find a place to live, figure out what to take with me, figure out how to get it there.

Other things seem silly and trivial -

I have to get immunization shots, as any other entering student would, even at my age.

Will I take the bus to class or drive my car?

Will I have to change my phone service?

At work, I'm processing paperwork for projects that will take place well after I'm gone. I haven't put in notice yet, not until I iron out the details of retirement dates. But each time I do something, I'm caught up short and think - holy crap, I won't even be here then!

Other times, when doing ordinary things like picking up prescriptions or gassing up my car, I think wait, where will I do this six months from now?  Or I drive by the Pacific Ocean and think, this won't be part of my day anymore.

So many things in my life will change. I'm excited, and eager for it to start, but sometimes it feels overwhelming.

3 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

It sounds like you're entering a marvelous, exciting, exhilarating phase of your life!

David Duff said...

Crikey! I wouldn't want to rely on the State of California for my pension! By the time Brown has paid for that useless train and revenues have fallen because of the drought, California will be broke!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

It *is* overwhelming, but you have such new excitement ahead of you. Congratulations yet again!